Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is not only Canada Day but it's mom's birthday! It seems like every year, no one gets mom a cake. So this year, I made mom a pie. I made a Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie. Since her two favorite things are chocolate and peanut butter, this pie made the most sense. Plus, it was SO easy.



To make this pie you need:

-1 quart chocolate ice cream (softened)
- 1/2 (16 oz. jar) peanut butter
-1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust

Directions:
Mix ice cream and peanut butter together. Pour into crust. Freeze over night.

Now, when I went to the store I couldn't remember how many pints were in a quart (it was late and I was tired) so I got a container of Breyers Chocolate Ice Cream (plus, it was MUCH cheaper to get 1 container than 2!). Yes, the Breyers was 1.5 quarts, but it was less expensive so, oh well! Here in Chicago, you can't find a 9 inch pie crust, it's either a 6 inch crust or a 10 inch crust. So, I used a 10 inch crust. I put all the ice cream in a bowl and then put the peanut butter in the bowl. Mixing was a nightmare (but it left huge chunks of peanut butter in the mix). When I make it again, I will use the whole jar of peanut butter. I think it'll be easier if i use a blender to mix the ice cream and 1/2 the peanut butter until it was smooth & creamy. Then i'd stir in the rest of the peanut butter. It was SOO good. And So easy to make! Be careful when spooning the ice cream into the mixing container, to not get it on the floor. It comes out of the container so much easier when it's soft then when it's hardened. But the pie was a huge hit! A great summer treat.

Happy Birthday Mom!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Holy Guacamole! I'm glad you posted the recipe. Chocolate and peanut butter are, in my opinion, possibly the best flavor combination in the world. I think a few little pockets of peanut butter would be wonderful, but if you want to make it easier to mix, maybe you could warm the peanut butter up in the microwave, just a tiny, tiny bit? Happy Birthday Kat's mom! You have definitely been spoiled.

Deon said...

I am totally up for making this pie! Three ingredients? That's just about my speed :) Wish me luck!

Kathleen said...

It's hard to mess up. Now the lady at the grocery store may give you a weird look if you just buy the 3 ingrediants, but oh my is it good! Just make sure the ice cream is soft. As soon as I got it home from the store I left it out on the counter for 5-10 minutes to get nice and soft. Just don't drop it on the floor.