Wednesday, July 15, 2009

WHY?

I was reading the newspaper this morning when I came across a news article that I just had to share. My first thought was "why?!"

Willbert Weeks was 4 years old when he lost his legs as a result of severe burns. Early this morning, the 66-year-old Englewood resident lost his legs a second time — at the hands of two thieves who broke in to his home, pistol-whipped him and stole his prosthetic legs. “They hit me in the head with a pistol, snatched my legs and ran out,” he said. The suspects got away. But Weeks’ legs were recovered, undamaged, in an alley near his house. Chicago police say Weeks told them he was watching a Discovery Channel program on volcanoes when a male and female, between 15 and 18 years old and both around 5 feet tall and 110 pounds, entered his bedroom. After hitting Weeks and grabbing his legs and identification card, the pair ran out the back door, police said. Weeks said he’s not sure how the intruders got in to his bedroom. He suspects that they broke in through the home’s rear. He suffered a minor bruise and refused medical treatment.


Why would you break into someone's house just to steal their legs? I could sort of understand if they took his money or anything else, but to only take his legs then to dump then later? Oy vey! What's today's youth coming to? All I can do is shake my head. At least the man wasn't hurt.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

That is terrible! Did they think it was a harmless joke?? I'm glad he's ok and that they found the legs. I agree with you: what are the youth coming to?